Freespire is a Ubuntu-based Linux operating system that combines the best that free, open source software has to offer. It provides users with the choice of including proprietary drivers, codecs and applications as they see fit.No Stable version yet.
With Freespire, the choice is yours as to what software is installed on your computer, with no limitations or restrictions whatsoever. How you choose to maximize the performance of your computer is entirely up to you.
- A community-driven, Ubuntu-based Linux distribution.
- Always made available for free use, distribution and modification, now and forever.
- Powerful enough for the most sophisticated Linux user or developer, yet easy enough for someone completely new to Linux.
- Available with 100% free, open source software or with the option to include legally licensed, 3rd party codecs, drivers and software.
- It legally supports (or has one-click access to support): MP3, DVD, Windows Media, QuickTime, Java, Flash, Real, ATI drivers, nVidia drivers, Adobe Acrobat Reader, proprietary WiFi drivers, fonts, and so on.
- It provides free access to the entire Freespire open source application pool using apt-get.
- It offers optional use of the Linspire CNR (click and run) Service.
- It includes a total development environment, which can be easily expanded using apt-get or CNR.
- It provides easy-to-use yet advanced installation and configuration options.
- It utilizes the community IRMA project to provide Freespire in dozens of different languages.
- Community supported at no charge, with optional enhanced support available.