Linux Mint community has released today the first beta version of Linux Mint 4.0, codenamed Daryna, KDE Edition. Being based on Celena KDE CE and compatible with the Ubuntu Gutsy repositories,Daryna brings many new softwares and tools, such as:
- Linux kernel 2.6.22-14
- XFCE CE 4.4.1
- OpenOffice.org 2.3.0
- Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0
- Mozilla Sunbird 0.7
“Daryna KDE is not as minty as the main edition but it is mintier than Cassandra KDE” – says the Linux Mint Community.
Through the highlights of this release, we can notice:
There are also, ‘minted’ versions of Firefox and Sunbird!
Linux Mint Daryna KDE CE is a DVD only release, but don’t despond, as the Linux Mint Community announced that they will release a miniKDE version for all of you who don’t have a DVD-ROM drive.
Known issues in Daryna KDE
- When shutting down or restarting the Live CD, it will freeze at least 50% of the time at the last step.
- Large screen monitors (e.g. Dell 24″) can be a bit scary to setup. If your screen goes to power save mode or no signal mode during boot/login, just move your mouse to wake it up again.
- Nvidia card setup: to use Envy, first edit your xorg.conf file and change the “nv” driver to “nvidia”. Then run Envy and install the Nvidia driver, but DO NOT let it modify your xorg.conf file. Strange things can happen to your screen and you may need to reset your computer. Therefore, it is recommended that you enter a console session (with Alt+F1) to setup your Nvidia card. Use “sudo envy -t” from the command line to install the Nvidia driver.
What new in Daryna : –
- Out of the box multimedia support
- Microsoft Windows Integration (Dual-boot, NTFS read/write support, Migration Assistant)
- One-Click install system (Linux Mint Software Portal, mintInstall)
- Easy file-sharing (mintUpload)
- Desktop features, Control Center, mintMenu
- 3D Effects
- Great configuration tools
- Great selection of default applications (OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, Gimp, Pidgin, XChat, Amarok..etc)
- Solid package base (Google Earth, Picasa, Skype, a lot of important software present in the repositories or in the Linux Mint Software Portal, compatibility with all Ubuntu Feisty repositories and most Debian packages)
Download : Linux Mint