A new version of the ATI/AMD Linux display driver was released last night for both x86 and x86_64 platforms. This release is a bit special, as it includes support for Ubuntu 7.10. Moreover, starting with this version, the ATI Catalyst software suite does not support the Linux kernel 2.4, XFree86 4.3 software and workstation hardware.
Issues resolved in this release:
- Launching a new terminal un RHEL5 32bit version no longer results in inconsistent background colors appearing each time the window is minimized and maximized
- The kernel module is now working on kernel version 2.6.23
- An error message no longer appears during installation if dash is used as /bin/sh
Known issues of this release
- There is no support for video playback on the second head in dual head mode.
- Desktop corruption may be noticed when dragging the overlay/video when using dual-display mode.
- A black screen may be observed on some hardware when switching to the console or leaving the X window system when a Vesa framebuffer console driver is used.
- An error message appears during installation if dash is used as /bin/sh.
- Several distribution-specific packaging scripts are not up-to-date in this release. In particular, packaging for 64-bit Ubuntu versions is known to be broken.
In order to gain the best performance and ease of use, ATI/AMD recommends the following:
- Kernel module build environment – should include the following: Kernel source code: either the Kernel Source or Kernel Headers packages
- ISSE Support enabled in your Linux Kernel (applies to Intel Pentium III and later CPUs only; enabled by default on version 2.4 and later kernels)
- The rpm utility should be installed and configured correctly on your system, if you intend to install it via RPM packages;
- XOrg 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 or 7.3
- Linux kernel 2.6 or higher
- glibc version 2.2 or 2.3
- POSIX Shared Memory (/dev/shm) support is required for 3D applications
Please notice that starting with this version, ATI Catalyst doesn’t support Linux kernel 2.4. If you have a machine running Linux kernel 2.4, you should install version 8.42.3 of the ATI Catalyst software suite.
Supported operating systems:
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.6 (tested with Snapshot 6)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.1 (tested with Snapshot 7)
- Ubuntu 7.10
- RedFlag 6.0 DT (tested with RC)
- OpenSUSE 10.3 (tested with RC1)
Download: Drivers & Software