Ubuntu Mobile is an Ubuntu edition that targets an exciting new class of computers called Mobile Internet Devices. Ubuntu Mobile, based on the world’s most popular Linux distribution, and MID hardware from OEMs and ODMs, are redefining what can be done in mobile computing.
Ubuntu Mobile, a fully open source project, gives full Internet, with no compromise. Custom options may include licensed codecs and popular third-party applications.
- Full Web 2.0/AJAX fidelity, with custom options of Adobe Flash®, Java, and more
- Outstanding media playback so you can enjoy videos, music and photos with superior quality and easy navigation
- A suite of applications that work seamlessly to meet every need of a digital parent, student or anyone who is on-the-go
- Facebook®, MySpace®, YouTube®, Dailymotion®, 3D games, GPS, maps, in short, the full Web 2.0 experience delivered into your hands as a compact and powerful device that’s easy and fun to use
Finger friendly, touch driven: Ubuntu Mobile is finger friendly, with no stylus needed. You drive Ubuntu Mobile with touch. Simply tap the screen or drag a finger to make gestures for intuitive navigation and control.
- Tap an application with your finger to launch it, and tap menus and buttons to use them.
- Swipe a web page to pan up, down or sideways.
- Swipe a video, photo, song or thumbnail page to move to the next or the previous one.
Leveraging the MID: MIDs typically have the following features and attributes:
- Small size/form factor
- 4 to 7 inch touch screen
- Physical and/or virtual keyboard
- Wi-Fi, 3G, Bluetooth, GPS, WiMAX
- 2GB to 8GB Flash or disk storage, 256MB+ memory/512MB+ recommended
- OpenGL 3D
- USB, camera, head phone jack, speakers, microphone
Flash UI : Ubuntu Mobile is highly flexible and customizable. It is an ideal platform for the kind of product differentiation that reaches target users and penetrates key markets.
- User interface in HTML, Flash, Clutter, Python with GTK, C/C++ with GTK and Java
- Different application sets for different products or configurations
- Integration with popular Web 2.0 sites
- Internationalization and translation support to meet market requirements
- Custom sets of licensed media codecs and third-party proprietary software for commercial partners
- Custom engineering